Friday, March 14, 2014

Goddess Test by Aimee Carter

9681214Genre: Mythology, Hades/Persephone 
Paperback: 293 Pages
Published: April 19, 2011
Series: Goddess Test
            1. The Goddess Test
            2. Goddess Interrupted
            3. The Goddess Inheritance
Rating: ★★★
 
Goodreads Synopsis:
 
Every girl who had taken the test has died.
Now it's Kate's turn.
It's always been just Kate and her mom - and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.
Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld - and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy - until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.
If she fails...
My Review:
            I picked this book up because....well I don't really know why I picked this book up. It had some really bad reviews but I just wanted to read for myself and then judge it. So after reading I wasn't even sure if I liked it. I mean the premise was interesting and the synopsis was what made me interested in this book, but it honestly didn't live up to my expectations.
            I won't bore you to death with the details. But let me try to explain in one sentence: Henry (main character a.k.a. Hades) saves a girl (Kate) and in return she must come to his lair and become his queen. But to do this Kate must pass a bunch of tests and if she fails she dies. Ummmm... what!? Okay... So Kate wants to become a goddess and of course she has enemies ( who happens to be her friend) so her life is threatened but Henry falls in love with her so all is good and dandy. 
            The plot was good, if you don't really know Greek Mythology (unfortunately I do so the plot was lacking for me). I think the plot could have been more developed with unpredictable twists. Though I found this to be down right hilarious: When Kate finds out that Henry is a virgin and she basically 'deflowered him.' ( Yeh you read that right. The almighty god of the underworld was a virgin) HAHAHAHHAAHHAHHAAHHA!! Overall, the plot could have been better. I liked the characters enough that I didn't want to slap anyone of them. The book itself was fast paced so it was an easy read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment