Saturday, March 15, 2014

My Soul To Take by Rachel Vincent

Genre: Bean Sidhe, Grim Reapers
6315602Paperback: 279 Pages
Published: August 1, 2009
Series: The Soul Screamers
            1. My Soul to Take
            2. My Soul to Save
            3. My Soul to Keep
            4. My Soul to Steal
            5. If I Die
            6. Before I wake
            7. With All My Soul
 Rating: ★★★★
Goodreads Synopsis:
            It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life. Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.  She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....
My Review:
          Rachel Vincent has yet done it again. I am a huge fan of Rachel Vincent and I truly love her work. I should have done this book review as soon as I finished this book. Instead I picked up the second book, and then the third. Before I knew it, I was half way done through the series. The worst part was after finishing the sixth book I realized I had to wait an ENTIRE YEAR for the final book to be released. I was ready to pull my hair out! An entire year! I didn't how long I could wait. But I got through it and I have to say the wait was worth it.
          This series starts off with introducing Kaylee Cavanaugh as a bean sidhe, who screams when she knows someone is going to die. Kaylee lives with her aunt who is obsessed with looking young, an uncle who seems to care for her, and a cousin who can hardly stand her. With no dad in the picture and her mother dead Kaylee has big problems fitting in. She starts to have frequent panic attacks which lead to screaming on the top of her lungs. And when a Grim Reaper comes to take someone's soul, she can't help but scream. She screams like a banshee, because that is what Kaylee is. Kaylee tries her best to keep her bean sidhe side silent, but that is not possible. The more she suppresses her banshee qualities the harder it is to control. If She can't control herself then she'll end up back in the psychiatric unit.
          So Cue the hot guy that saves the damsel in distress. He goes by the name Nash Hudson and he knows what Kaylee is. At first Kaylee has a hard time believing Nash, when he tells her he likes her. But as the story progresses Kaylee truly believes that he's there to help her (and he has been there on multiple occasions since his mother is also a banshee and he knows what she's going through). Nash and Kaylee team up to figure out why so many girls are dying. Someone or something is responsible and if they can't figure out who, then someone Kaylee loves will be next.
          Overall I really loved this book. I didn't really know the folklore about banshee's and reading this book I learned numerous things. Rachel Vincent beautifully incorporates the world of banshees and grim reapers in an imaginative and entertaining way.

No comments:

Post a Comment