Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Gathering by Kelly Armstrong

7896345Genre: Cougars, Shapshifter
Hardcover: 359 Pages
Published: April 12, 2011
Series: Darkness Rising
            1. The Gathering
            2. The Calling
            3. The Rising
Rating:★★★★
Goodreads Synopsis:
            Sixteen-year-old Maya is just an ordinary teen in an ordinary town. Sure, she doesn't know much about her background - the only thing she really has to cling to is an odd paw-print birthmark on her hip - but she never really put much thought into who her parents were or how she ended up with her adopted parents in this tiny medical-research community on Vancouver Island.
Until now.

Strange things have been happening in this claustrophobic town - from the mountain lions that have been approaching Maya to her best friend's hidden talent for "feeling" out people and situations, to the sexy new bad boy who makes Maya feel...different. Combine that with a few unexplained deaths and a mystery involving Maya's biological parents and it's easy to suspect that this town might have more than its share of skeletons in its closet.

In The Gathering, New York Times best-selling author Kelley Armstrong brings all the supernatural thrills from her wildly successful Darkest Powers series to Darkness Rising, her scorching hot new trilogy.
My Review:
            A little different review....
The Good Stuff that makes you squeal like a little girl:
1. I have read other books by Kelly Armstrong so when I saw the synopsis of this book I just knew I had to read it. And what an amazing book this turned out to be!
2. I was sucked into the story from the first page. It was fast paced and had lovable characters.
3. Maya's parents are totally AMAZING--- this is probably the first YA book I have read where the parents are understanding, and not self-absorbed clueless douche bags who don't even listen to their kids and pretend everything they are doing is for their children's best interest. So thank you Armstrong for that!
4. There are so many twists and turns that are thoroughly explained without leaving important details out.
5. There are lots of cougars a.k.a. Mountain Lions. I love how Kelly created their world and how Maya learns about herself through the new kid in town.
6. Speaking of the new kid, Raffe, well he's just awesome! His character is well developed and I love his interactions with Maya. He also happens to be the romantic lead in this series. *swoon*
7. Also I love Daniels character, he is best friends with Maya and at one point Maya's dad tries to set her up with him. (how cute).
            Here's the quote from that section:
       
"Takes care of me? Did I go to sleep and wake up in the nineteenth century?" I looked down at my jeans and T-shirt. "Ack! I can't go to school like this. Where's my Corset? My bonnet?
Dad sighed as Mom walked in with her empty teacup.

"What did I miss?" she said

"Dad's trying to marry me off to Daniel." I looked at him. "You know, if you offer him a new truck for a dowry, he might go for it."

"Apparently, I said the wrong thing," Dad told Mom.

8. I didn't find anything wrong with this book. It kept my interest throughout the book but the ending ended at a cliffhanger! AHHHHH HOW MUCH I HATE CLIFFHANGERS!
9. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story with danger, love, conspiracies, and of course supernatural beings!
10. LOVED IT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment