Sunday, March 16, 2014

Touch of Frost by Jennifer Estep

9439989Genre: Mythology
Paperback: 350 Pages
Published: August 1, 2011
Series: Mythos Academy
            1. Touch of Frost
            2. Kiss of Frost
            3. Dark Frost
            4. Crimson Frost
            5. Midnight Frost
            6. Killer Frost (TBA)
Rating:★★★★
Goodreads Synopsis:
My name is Gwen Frost, and I go to Mythos Academy; a school of myths, magic and warrior whiz kids, where even the lowliest geek knows how to chop off somebody's head with a sword and Logan Quinn, the hottest Spartan guy in school, also happens to be the deadliest. But lately, things have been weird, even for Mythos. First, mean girl Jasmine Ashton was murdered in the Library of Antiquities. Then, someone stole the Bowl of Tears, a magical artifact that can be used to bring about the second Chaos War. You know, death, destruction and lots of other bad, bad things. Freaky stuff like this goes on all the time at Mythos, but I'm determined to find out who killed Jasmine and why; especially since I should have been the one who died...
My Review:
   I expected this book to be a fast paced read. I thought I would pick it up and be done with it. Instead this was very slow. The author took forever to make her point and get to the plot. It just dragged on and on. At one point I had to shut the book and drink a BIG CUP OF TEA to get myself to wake up. It was similar to the House of Night by P.C. Cast but with more interesting characters. The female lead Gwen is a Gypsy. She has the gift of psychometry, which means she gets psychic impression from things she touches. Shortly after her mothers death, Gwen is enrolled at Mythos Academy, a school for teens with special powers. The school is filled with Valkyrie, Amazons, and even hot Spartans. But she feels out-of-place and comes from an under privileged background. After Gwen discovers a dead classmate she is determined to find out what happened by using her powers. Since she is so interested in finding out what is going on, she now has a target on her back. Gwen and her classmates help each other figure out who is behind all the creepy events that have been going on.  
            I liked the whole idea of introducing other mythology legends like Kelly Armstrong did in her series Darkest Powers. But my biggest problem was the recurrence of thoughts we got from Gwen. What I hated the most was her use of 'Yucko' in the first half of the book. Couldn't she have said something else? Another part that annoyed me was how Logan, the love interest treated her. Gwen was supposed to feel jerked around by his behavior, but damn that girl didn't do crap. She just let him do and say what he wanted. And this made her seem like a wimp. But what caught me out of the blue was the ending to this first book. I was not expecting it and I couldn't help but say, "Oh no he didn't." So even though this book has few weak point it has stirred my curiosity. Hopefully, the next book is less predictable and filled with more action.

No comments:

Post a Comment