Friday, July 4, 2014

Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber

10841336Genre: Magic
Paperback: 317 Pages
Published: November 8, 2011
Series: Magic Most Foul
1. Darker Still
2. The Twisted Tragedy of Miss Natalie       Stewart
3. The Double Life of Incorporate Things
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

I was obsessed.


It was as if he called to me, demanding I reach out and touch the brushstrokes of color swirled onto the canvas. It was the most exquisite portrait I'd ever seen--everything about Lord Denbury was unbelievable...utterly breathtaking and eerily lifelike.

There was a reason for that. Because despite what everyone said, Denbury never had committed suicide. He was alive. Trapped within his golden frame.

I've crossed over into his world within the painting, and I've seen what dreams haunt him. They haunt me too. He and I are inextricably linked--bound together to watch the darkness seeping through the gas-lit cobblestone streets of Manhattan. Unless I can free him soon, things will only get Darker Still.


My Review:

            What the heck!? The titles for the second and third book are preposterous!!! I mean its a mouth full: The Twisted Tragedy vyasdskjdslkjf'kdjfwijf... That right there is the first thing that makes me not want to continue reading this series! The first book was bad enough, but the titles just ruined this book for me! I don't even...I just.. WHAT!?
           
            Darker Still was fascinating for the first couple of chapters and then it started to go down hill for me. I liked the idea of a mute girl (an idea you don't see often so props for that!) who can jump into pictures and is able to speak. She meets a guy who has been trapped in a painting for hundreds of years and he finally has a chance to be free with her help. But of course life gets in the way and the bad guys ruin things. Bla...Bla...Bla.. However, I was totally turned off by the fact that the two main characters instantly fall in love. Like WTF!? How is that even possible? "Oh look a very handsome guy. I'm in love with him, yay let me merry him!" Um. No.
           

 (Thank You Elsa! The only Disney princess who actually has brains!)

      I am honestly so tired of this insta-love thing that all these authors are pulling. It is unrealistic and unappealing. I can't believe it has come to a point where I drop a book like its a dang hot potato because the main characters instantly fall in love. I would rather see cute scenes between characters and give them a little time to get to know each other, before they confess their undying love for each other. *Insert eye roll* Overall, this book was an okay read. If you look past the issues I guess you can eventually love this book, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. 


No comments:

Post a Comment