Monday, September 1, 2014

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

7948945Paperback: 324 Pages
Published: March 1, 2011
Genre: Mythology 
Series: Falling Under
            1. Falling Under
            2. Dreaming Awake
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


My Review:

            There are four things that make a book good in my opinion. The storyline should be interesting enough to keep me hooked. The characters should be strong and independent willing to stand up for themselves. The writing style should be written to target the audience the story in being written for. Finally, the addictiveness of a book can basically make or break a story for me.

            In Falling Under, the storyline was catchy enough to get me to read the first book. I was hooked on the idea of dream sequencing and being able to meet the mysterious man that comes to me in my dreams. That is a pretty cool topic and definitely got me interested. The writing style is where things started to go downhill. The author used a lot of Jane Austen references and the story seemed like it was written for an old lady. I honestly didn't like how the writing was not written for the targeted audience, but instead it was complex and got confusing at times.
           
             The characters were a pain in the ass. They had no depth or creativity and because of this the book was a fail for me. I couldn't muster up any enthusiasm for the characters when they were acting like idiots. For example, when  Theia was suddenly in the underworld she wasn't surprised at all. She didn't freak out or get scared. Um...the initial reaction of someone who is magically taken to another dimension should freak the hell out and possible poop in their pants. But Theia just blinked her eyes like she was expecting this to happen. I found this to be ridiculous and that's why I give this book only two stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment