Saturday, March 15, 2014

Stray by Rachel Vincent

793399Genre: Shifters, Adult Paranormal
Paperback: 618 Pages
Published: June 1, 2007
Series: The Shifters Series
            1.Stray
            2. Rogue
            3. Pride
            4. Prey            
            5. Shift
            6. Alpha
Rating:  ★★★★
* AGE LEVEL: 18 and Up!*
Goodreads Synopsis:
            There are only eight breeding female werecats left . . .
            And I'm one of them.
            I look like an all-American grad student. But I am a werecat, a shape-shifter, and I live in two worlds. Despite reservations from my family and my Pride, I escaped the pressure to continue my species and carved out a normal life for myself. Until the night a Stray attacked. I'd been warned about Strays -- werecats without a Pride, constantly on the lookout for someone like me: attractive, female, and fertile. I fought him off, but then learned two of my fellow tabbies had disappeared.
            This brush with danger was all my Pride needed to summon me back . . . for my own protection. Yeah, right. But I'm no meek kitty. I'll take on whatever -- and whoever -- I have to in order to find my friends. Watch out, Strays -- 'cause I got claws, and I'm not afraid to use them . . .
My Review:   
            What the hell is a werecat?! That was my first thought when I read the summary of this book. I have heard of werewolves, I even like books about them, but a werecat? I was skeptical in reading this book because I wasn't sure that I would like it. However, this series was able to exceed my expectations. It's about a female werecat, Faythe Sanders who is summoned home in a bid to keep her safe from a dangerous, tabby-killing stray. After five years at college being forced to come back home is tough on Faythe. She likes her freedom and now its being taken from her. The reason for this severity is because female werecats are a rarity and highly protected by the males.
            Leaving the Pride is a rare luxury offered only to males. The women, on the other hand, have no say in the matter and that's why Faythe is so reluctant to come back. But her father threatens to lock her up if she tries to run away. This is the part in the book where I wanted to slam my fist into the wall. I was so frustrated to read over and over again how her father tries to force her into doing everything he tells her. Including marrying Marc. He is strong, intelligent, brave and an arrogant jerk. He constantly tried to force his authority onto Faythe, hoping she would back down, but that wasn't going to happen. The relationship between Marc and Faythe is intense, action-filled and quirky.   
            I really liked how Rachel Vincent used the concept of werecats and turned it into something enjoyable. I was interested throughout, which isn't often done when a book is more than 600 pages long. I think the author could have shortened the series because it seemed like it was never going to end. But overall I enjoyed reading even with the frustrating men in this book who made me want to pull my hair out.   

No comments:

Post a Comment