Friday, April 18, 2014

Underworld #2 by Meg Cabot

10799881Genre: Mythology, Hades/Persephone
Paperback: 336 Pages
Published: May 8, 2012
Series: Abandon
            1. Abandon
            2. Underworld
            3. Awakened
Rating: ★★★
  

Goodreads Synopsis:

Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.




Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn’t dead.


Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it’s for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they’ve come back as Furies, intent on vengeance…on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there…and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there’ll be no escape.



My Review:

You know how they say, "Never judge a book by it's cover".....well that's exactly what I did. I saw the cover and I fell in love. I just had to read it. But sometimes you have to judge a book by it's cover to truly know if the book is worth reading or not. With this book, I jumped in head first. I read the summary for the first book and I immediately wanted to read it. Though I gave the first book a four starts, this book didn't wow me as much as I had hoped.

It mainly focuses on Pierce's families past and their issues. I really didn't like this since it took the focus away from the two main characters. Her families past is relevant to what is happening to Pierce now, but not by a lot. I was hoping to see more action and fighting. With the first book I found the retelling of Persephone and Hades to be very fascinating and now it just seemed unreal. And the whole Furies and Fates thing kind of threw me off. I mean what did they exactly want?



I am a huge fan of Meg Cabot, but this book didn't reach my expectations. I truly hope the third book is more intriguing and ties up the lose ends. If you read my review of Abandon then you would know how irritated I was with Pierce. Since then she has matured up a bit, but she still has those irritating qualities of a little spoiled brat. John is interesting as ever. I want to know more about his story and why he is the way he is. Although I have to say, the romance wasn't as swoon worthy. I found it a bit alarming that they confessed their undying love to each other after only a few meetings. Like what!? And it doesn't seem like they have any chemistry. Overall, the concept of the Isla Huesos was very interesting. It's based somewhat on a true story so that was kind of cool. Hopefully, the third book will pick up the pace and finish the series with a bang.  

No comments:

Post a Comment