Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Promised #3 by Caragh M. O'Brian

13010211Genre: Dystopian
Hardcover: 293 Pages
Published: October 2, 2012
Series: Birthmarked
            1. Birthmarked
            2. Prized
            3. Promised
Rating:★★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

After defying the ruthless Enclave, surviving the wasteland, and overthrowing Sylum, Gaia Stone now faces her greatest challenge yet--to lead the people of Sylum back to the Enclave and persuade the Protectorate to grant them refuge. But in Gaia's absence, the Enclave has become even more ruthless, picking girls from outside the wall to serve in an experimental baby factory. Babies with the right genes are now a priceless commodity with the potential to reshape life inside the wall and redefine humanity. The key to it all comes back to one fearless, young midwife. When negotiations devolve into terrorist threats, Gaia finds herself at the crux of an insupportable decision.

As a leader, a woman, and an idealist in love, Gaia must decide if she can sacrifice what--or whom--she values most.

My Review:

            It took me a while to start this book up. I had it in my room for a few weeks before I actually picked it up and read it. I was a little disappointed in the final installment of Birthmarked. The first book was interesting and fully caught my attention. The second was able to hold my attention, but by the third book I was getting tired of the same story. So Gaia figured out why the females were dying in Sylum. The toxins that were being dumped into the fish pond made the female fishes sterile thus causing the females of Sylum to become sterile since the toxins were being transferred. After this discover, Gaia was able to overthrow Sylum's leadership and take control. The people of Sylum choose to follow Gaia to the Enclave where she tried to persuade the Protectorate to grant them refuge.  
            Along the way, Gaia and her people faced many challenges, but they managed to overcome their differences and unite in order to fight the people behind the wall. Leon and Gaia had their issues and their relationship took a hit when someone got in the way. Overall, an okay read. My only problem was with how the story proceeded to an end. I didn't care about the characters as much as I had hoped that I would. I started to get annoyed with their arguments and pointless fights. But in the end Gaia and her people got what they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment