Saturday, June 28, 2014

Water Wars by Cameron Stracher

7749505Genre: Dystopian 
Hardcover: 240 Pages
Published: January 1, 2011
Series: None
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

Welcome to a future where water is more precious than gold or oil—and worth killing for Vera and her brother, Will, live in the shadow of the Great Panic, in a country that has collapsed from environmental catastrophe. Water is hoarded by governments, rivers are dammed, and clouds are sucked from the sky. But then Vera befriends Kai, who seems to have limitless access to fresh water. When Kai suddenly disappears, Vera and Will set off on a dangerous journey in search of him-pursued by pirates, a paramilitary group, and greedy corporations. Timely and eerily familiar, acclaimed author Cameron Stracher makes a stunning YA debut that's impossible to forget.


My Review: 

            A war about water was something I never expected to read. It was an interesting topic to poke at and I liked how the author presented the idea and the plot. However, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I'm all for saving the environment and everything, but this book just seemed a little too much. A war over water? That's kind of ridicules to me.

            This book revolves around two teens, Vera and Kai who explore a mild romance and give the reader a in depth look at a dessert like environment, where water is a rare commodity and people are always thirsty. I give props to the author for being original and creative. I found the romance to be one sided, thus resulting in Vera risking her life to show her devotion to Kai, while he sits at home with water living a carefree life.

            Overall, this was an okay beginning to a first novel. However, I don't think many people will go for the environmentalist background the author was trying to portray. I think the idea was smart and interesting, but there just wasn't any romance. And I am a big sucker for romance.

P.S. The Cover is freaking gorgeous!!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment