Monday, September 22, 2014

Darkness Becomes Her by Kelly Keaton

8109130Genre: Mythology
Hardcover: 320 Pages
Published: February 22, 2011
Series: Gods and Monsters
            1. Darkness Becomes Her
            2. A Beautiful Evil
            3. The Wicked Within
Rating:★★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

Ari can't help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can't be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is. 


Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it's impossible to protect herself when she doesn't know what she's running from or why she is being pursued. 

She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her. 

Ari won't stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.


My Review:

            Not what I was expecting at all. This book was very different and intrigued me from the beginning. It had a strong beginning, but somewhere towards the middle of the book I started to lose interest. The concept of the book was refreshing, but the story didn't capture my attention till the end.

            The twist on Greek mythology definitely fascinated me because I recently started to get into the whole mythology scene, but I believe the story it self lost my interest. There was just too much going on with the mix of mythology and the supernatural. If the book was focused more on one aspect or the other I think I would have liked it more. The love interest (which is the main reason I continued with the story) seemed genuine and not forced. Many teen books seem to have the love interests forced to like each other or add scenes that are unrealistic. Keaton did a good job at keeping the romance simple and believable. 
                The characters were well rounded and I didn't have the urge to slap, yell, strangle, or curse the main character out so that was indeed a plus. Overall, I give this book a three stars. Many of you might like this book because it's new and intriguing or you like the mix of Greek mythology and the supernatural, however I like these two genres separate.   


No comments:

Post a Comment