Thursday, September 25, 2014

Farm by Emily McKay

13542868Genre: Vampires
Paperback: 420 Pages
Published: December 4, 2012
Series: The Farm
            1. The Farm
            2. The Lair
            3. The Vault
Rating: ★★★

Goodreads Synopsis:
Life was different in the Before: before vampires began devouring humans in a swarm across America; before the surviving young people were rounded up and quarantined. These days, we know what those quarantines are—holding pens where human blood is turned into more food for the undead monsters, known as Ticks. Surrounded by electrical fences, most kids try to survive the Farms by turning on each other…

And when trust is a thing of the past, escape is nearly impossible.

Lily and her twin sister Mel have a plan. Though Mel can barely communicate, her autism helps her notice things no one else notices—like the portion of electrical fence that gets turned off every night. Getting across won’t be easy, but as Lily gathers what they need to escape, a familiar face appears out of nowhere, offering to help…

Carter was a schoolmate of Lily’s in the Before. Managing to evade capture until now, he has valuable knowledge of the outside world. But like everyone on the Farm, Carter has his own agenda, and he knows that behind the Ticks is an even more dangerous threat to the human race...


My Review:

      Well, well. Color me surprised. If you had told me before I read this book that I would enjoy reading it I would have pointed and laughed in your face. The Farm turned out to be an original well written book about vampires and I'm impressed. We have read about killer vampires, vegetarian vampires, vamps that sparkle, and vamps that can go out in the sun. But vamps who are not vamps is something totally different.
            This book introduces vampires who are not quite vampires. HUH!? What the heck am I talking about!? Well, for starters, these kids are genetically altered humans who drink blood straight from the heart after ripping it out of your chest with joy and hunger in their eyes. Yeah, sounds kinda scary right (just be sure to not read this book at 3 in the morning when your all alone at home)?

            Anyways... plot and character wise I gives a thumbs up to this book. I liked the dedication between Lily and her twin sister Mel. They stuck together through thick and thin and Lily really loved her sister. Carter on the other hand, was a shady character. I couldn't tell whether he was good or bad, but he definitely had a hidden agenda. 
          What I didn't like about this book was how it got confusing at certain points. There were some plot holes and I was constantly re-reading to see what important detail I missed. By the end of the book I felt like I had more questions which were left unanswered. Overall, I liked the first book in this series, however I do not feel a compulsion to continue with this story. Hopefully, Mel and Lily find a way out of the hell of a farm they are on and I hope Carter is one of the good guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment