Thursday, September 25, 2014

Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Genre: Zombies
Paperback: 310
Published: July 2009
Series: The Forest of Hands and Teeth
            1. The Forest of Hands and Teeth
            2. The Dead-Tossed Waves
            3. The Dark and Hollow Places
Rating:★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

            In Mary's world there are simple truths. The Sisterhood always knows best. The Guardians will protect and serve. The Unconsecrated will never relent. And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village; the fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth. But, slowly, Mary’s truths are failing her. She’s learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power, and about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness. When the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, she must choose between her village and her future—between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded in so much death?

My Review:

            This was my first time reading a Zombie book and I have to say I was not a happy camper. Basically, sometime in the future, the world is overrun by zombies called the 'Unconsecrated.' Mary lives in a village surrounded by the Forest of Hands and Teeth, where these unconsecrated are held and the village is ruled by fear to keep the people in check. However, when Mary discovers a very dangerous secret that should not be known things start to get interesting. Plus there is a romantic love interest that complicates Mary's life and adds a fascinating character to the mix.

            Although this book sounds promising and has a mysterious plot, I felt the beginning dragged on. The writing was okay, but lacked detail. So much so, that there were times when I wasn't sure where the action had oriented. I never felt like the setting was real or had any depth. I also found that I did not give a rats ass about the characters. Usually, when I read a book I like to feel connected to the characters at some point in the story. Instead I felt the characters lacked depth and the plot was all over the place. By the end my questions weren't answered and therefore, I have no desire to find out what happens to Mary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment