Monday, May 5, 2014

Erasing Shadows by K.D. Rose

18405421Genre: Astral-projection
Ebook Copy: 168 Pages
Published: December 18, 2013
Series: Erasing
            1. Erasing Shadows
            2. TBA
Rating:★★★

Goodreads Synopsis:

What if to save the ones you love, you had to unlock the key to a different reality?



Generations of mystery smash together when a seemingly traditional family must shatter their illusions of normality to confront themselves and their friends, leaving no possibility unexplored in order to rescue- well, who exactly? Watch the Ross family, the High Five Gang, and multiple generations dig into an innovative explosion of imagination where they must confront numerous realities, real-world danger, and worst of all—their own teenage hormones!



In a place where nothing is as it seems and shocks are around every corner, even the people you thought you knew may find themselves strangers in this moving and provocative reality-bender. With breathless pacing and psychological intrigue, Erasing: Shadows and the High Five Gang will keep you guessing until the very end.



My Review:
First, I would like to thank the author and the tour organizers for giving me a free copy of this book in return for an honest review. I appreciate the opportunity! :)

             Erasing Shadows starts off  with a bang. Brandon, a three year old boy, is disappearing right before his mothers eyes. Mia is crying hysterically and desperately trying to keep a hold on her son as he mysteriously disappears into thin air. All she has of his is a shoe and she can't seem to stop crying. When her husband Michael rushes to her side, Mia explains to him what has happened. Mia is determined to get her son back and the only way to do that is to astral-project into another dimension. The shock of losing her son causes her to lose her memory of astral-projection and retreat to the age of nine in the astral-plane. When Michael can't seem to find his wife in the astral-plane, he requires the help of his friends who used to astral-project when they were younger. The 'High Five Gang' agrees to help them and go through a series of plot twists and new troubles.
            What caught my attention was the blurb and the enchanting cover of this book. The cover is gorgeous! When I read the summary I was immediately drawn into this new idea of astral-projection. This is the first book I have read about this topic and I wanted to know more! However, I'm sad to say I couldn't get into this book as much as I hoped I would. I struggled to finish it and when I did I was left confused with many questions left unanswered.

            Firstly, the relationships between the characters weren't explained properly. Why did Michael and Stu have animosity towards each other? What happened that caused this riff in their relationship? Why did John and his mother dislike each other? Secondly, I think the execution of the idea of astral-projection fell short. I can't express how much I liked this idea. To move your body to another dimension sounds so cool, and then being able to change your cloths, bring food with you, even changing your features  is fascinating. However, there was just too much going on and at times it was difficult to keep up with the plot. I wish I had been able to connect with the characters and get hooked by the writing, but I just wasn't. This idea of astral-projection is complicated, fascinating, and just totally cool. For the next book in this series I really hope the plot details are stronger and I am able to connect with the characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment